West Hill Cemetery, Sherman
About West Hill Cemetery, Sherman
The historical information about the early years of West Hill Cemetery is incomplete. Apparently, the cemetery was initially given the name Graves Hill and was supposedly located where Wilson North Jones Hospital is, before being moved to its present-day site. However, there is no written proof of these statements.
There is documented information that the Sherman City Council gave a plot in West Hill Cemetery for the burial of Confederate veterans in 1891. This proves that the city was the caretaker of the cemetery before 1900, and probably has been since the city was incorporated in the early 1850s.
The mausoleum at West Hill Cemetery was built in 1920, and later the Sherman Mausoleum Association was formed in August of 1923. The association passed a resolution in 1952 that sold the mausoleum and Memorial Park property to the City of Sherman, providing the city set aside money from the sale of lots in this area for the purpose of perpetual upkeep and care for the properties in a credible manner.