Burleson Memorial Cemetery, Burleson
About Burleson Memorial Cemetery, Burleson
At Burleson Memorial Cemetery, a visitor can see many names familiar to Burleson. Names like Bransom, Chisenhall, Clark, Dobson, Haskew, Hillery, Hurst, McNairn, Norwood, Shaffstall, Taylor and Wilshire are represented there. These were all people who played important roles in the Burleson community throughout the years.
Burleson’s cemetery association was created on November 6, 1909, by a group of concerned citizens. J.F. Dunn, Dr. S.P. McNairn and W.P. Lace purchased a 5-acre tract of land on the Alvarado Highway/FM 600 for the cemetery. Two additional acres were purchased three months later.
For 60 years the cemetery was maintained and managed by volunteers. In 1968 the Burleson Cemetery became the Burleson Cemetery, Incorporated and the control and operation was under the direction of the Jones Funeral Home in Burleson. From 1989 to July of 2007 the control and operation of the Burleson Memorial Cemetery has been the responsibility of the City of Burleson.